FFI’s fast growth—doubling in size and budget every two to three years—requires new staff, new partners and new funders. Our revenue comes from a blend of private philanthropy, earned income and government contracts, and the percentage of our funding that comes from high net worth individuals is expected to grow significantly in the coming years. We have created a new position on our team for the person who will provide high level support and project management for our strategy to dramatically increase individual philanthropic giving.
The Donor Relations Manager plays a pivotal role by proactively managing the donor relationship process including recruitment and cultivation of new major donors and stewardship and retention of current individual donors. The position is responsible for conducting research and assisting in the development of donor cultivation and relationship building strategies; preparing briefing materials for the CEO and board members in advance of meetings with donors and prospective donors; collaborating with the communications team on high quality, compelling materials for donor meetings; creating systems for and maintaining records and reports; and communicating key information about success or stalls to those who need it. This position works very closely with FFI’s founder and CEO, and with the Special Assistant to the CEO to meet the organization’s strategic fundraising goals.
Candidates for the position of Donor Relations Manager should have a Bachelor’s Degree and three to five years experience in development and prospect research. Consideration will be given to candidates who do not have this experience, yet have a demonstrated ability to be relentlessly curious and highly relational. The position requires knowledge of best practices for development infrastructure, including development information systems, planning, and campaign tracking and management. Candidates should have a demonstrated capacity to investigate, analyze, and synthesize large quantities of data into a user-friendly and concise format. Proficiency in CRM or donor relations software is necessary; experience with Salesforce for Nonprofits is preferred.
Competitive candidates have experience building internal and external relationships across a diverse set of stakeholders; strong experience with project management and problem solving; command of Google Apps in a collaborative environment, Microsoft Office skills, and a high aptitude for learning new technologies; experience with processes and tools to manage multiple projects and calendars; and experience in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
Other required skills and attributes include:
- Demonstrated passion for social justice and equity.
- Ability to recall, recognize and communicate interrelated information pertaining to prospective and current donors and board members.
- Flexibility; the ability to anticipate as well as to respond to change, and to quickly adapt priorities based on constituent needs and new opportunities.
- Ability to move rapidly from one task or project to another without dropping balls.
- Comfort in a growing and evolving organization; ability to learn quickly.
- Strong, natural inclination toward service, combined with a willingness to push back when needed for the good of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to write well and quickly in ways that successfully reach key audiences, in particular high-net worth individuals; highly developed interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Ridiculously organized, with the ability to organize others.
- Ability to independently manage multiple, deadline-driven projects from beginning to completion.
- Always discreet and ethical handling valuable and personal donor details that are often confidential.
- Able to take a tactful and ethical approach to fundraising responsibilities.
- High energy, positive, “can-do” attitude; teamwork-oriented.
The Donor Relations Manager is a full-time, exempt position based in Greenfield, MA, at FFI’s administrative office. We offer highly competitive salary and benefits, growth opportunities, and the satisfaction that comes with helping to build an organization with national impact.
How to Apply
Deadline to apply is October 6, 2017. A personalized cover letter and resume is required. In your cover letter, tell us about yourself, why you want to work at FFI, why the Donor Relations Manager position is a great fit for you, and why you are a great fit for this position. Please include where you heard about this opportunity. This letter is important – your application will not be considered without a customized application to our organization’s posting. E-mail your cover letter and resume as attached documents (PDF preferred, Word) via e-mail to email@example.com. Please put “YOUR FIRST NAME LAST NAME Donor Relations Manager” as your subject line.
FFI is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage people of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQ applicants and people from other underrepresented groups to apply, recognizing and respecting that diverse perspectives and experiences are valuable to our team and essential to achieving our purpose.